Afrocover
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics & Policies
  • Africa-Wide
  • Opinions
  • Exclusive
  • About Us
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Afrocover
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics & Policies
  • Africa-Wide
  • Opinions
  • Exclusive
  • About Us
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Afrocover
No Result
View All Result

FG scraps foreign scholarship scheme, cites mismanagement

By Rasheed Aladejana

April 30, 2025
in Africa-Wide, News, Politics & Policies
0
FG scraps foreign scholarship scheme, cites mismanagement
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

The Federal Government (FG) has officially announced the cancellation of the Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) programme, describing it as a mismanaged and wasteful initiative that no longer serves the broader interest of Nigerian students.

Minister of Education, Dr. Maruf Tunji Alausa, made the disclosure on Tuesday during a courtesy visit by the newly elected leadership of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS).

He expressed concern over the poor structure of the programme and what he called the “blackmailing” attitude of some scholars on social media.

“When I assumed office in 2024, I was asked to approve N650 million for 60 students going to Morocco under the BEA programme. I refused. It’s not fair to Nigerian students,” Alausa said.

Read also: FG declares holiday, urges workers to embrace hope

He explained that many students were sent to countries like Algeria, a French-speaking nation, to study courses such as English, Psychology, and Sociology, which are widely and effectively taught in Nigerian universities.

The BEA programme, born out of diplomatic agreements, had provided Nigerian students the opportunity to study in countries such as China, Russia, Egypt, Hungary, Morocco, Algeria, and Serbia. However, over the years, several beneficiaries had raised concerns over neglect and irregular payments of their entitlements.

While the government recently confirmed that all supplementary allowances for BEA scholars had been paid up to December 2024, the Minister clarified that the scheme would no longer continue beyond the 2025 academic year.

“By the end of 2024, all outstanding scholarships will be cleared. The 2025 scholarships are pending due to the budget appropriation process. They will be paid in the coming months. However, we will not continue the programme beyond 2025,” he stated.

Alausa highlighted the absence of academic monitoring and performance evaluation for BEA scholars, despite the government funding their annual travel and tuition.

“In 2025 alone, the government planned to spend N9 billion on just 1,200 students. It’s unjust to spend such a huge amount sending students abroad to study courses available locally while millions of Nigerian students receive no support,” he lamented.

“We have evaluated every course these 1,200 students are studying abroad, every single one is available in Nigerian universities. We are cancelling the BEA. It is not the best use of public funds,” he declared.

According to the Minister, the funds previously allocated to the BEA scheme will now be channeled into domestic scholarship programmes that will benefit a larger population of Nigerian students.

“That money will now be used to fund local scholarships and support more students,” he said, assuring that all current BEA beneficiaries will be allowed to complete their studies, but no new admissions will be processed under the scheme from 2025 onward.

Meanwhile, NANS President, Olushola Oladoja, praised the Minister for the reforms and progress recorded under his leadership, pledging continued student support for the Ministry’s policy direction.

Related Posts

Lagos records 8,692 domestic, sexual violence cases in one year
News

Lagos records 8,692 domestic, sexual violence cases in one year

No fewer than 8,692 cases of domestic and sexual violence were reported in Lagos State between August 2024 and...

by Rasheed Aladejana
August 30, 2025
Lagos police nab 32-year-old painter for kidnapping
News

Lagos police nab 32-year-old painter for kidnapping

The Lagos state police command operatives have apprehended a 32-year-old painter identified as Chigozie Clement for kidnapping his customer's...

by admin
August 29, 2025
Jailed monarch: Osun govt to obtain US court judgment before action
Africa-Wide

Jailed monarch: Osun govt to obtain US court judgment before action

The Osun State Government has said it would obtain the Certified True Copy of the judgment of a United...

by Rasheed Aladejana
August 28, 2025
Bloodbath in Ogboji as gunmen kill 13 Ebonyi indigenes in Anambra
News

Couple, daughter kidnapped as gunmen attack Katsina residence 

A man identified as Anas Ahmed, his wife, Halimatu, and their little daughter, Jidda, were on Tuesday abducted by...

by Rasheed Aladejana
August 26, 2025
Next Post
Breaking: Court orders EFCC to release Achimugu within 24 hours

Breaking: Court orders EFCC to release Achimugu within 24 hours

Afrocover news

The Afrocover team is a group of media enthusiasts that are committed to illuminate information fairness and objective media coverage across Africa. We also cover the depth of African Politics, History, Culture, Entertainment, and the Economy as the case may be.

© 2025 Afrocover – All right reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Loading
Facebook Twitter
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics & Policies
  • Africa-Wide
  • Opinions
  • Exclusive
  • About Us
    • Contact Us

© 2025 JNews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme.