Afrocover
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics & Policies
  • Africa-Wide
  • Opinions
  • Exclusive
  • About Us
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Afrocover
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics & Policies
  • Africa-Wide
  • Opinions
  • Exclusive
  • About Us
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Afrocover
No Result
View All Result

Ekiti, Ondo doctors reject FG’s allowance review circular, threatens nationwide strike

By Rasheed Aladejana

July 18, 2025
in News
0
Ekiti, Ondo doctors reject FG’s allowance review circular, threatens nationwide strike
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

Medical doctors in Ekiti and Ondo States have strongly condemned the June 27, 2025 circular by the Federal Government on the review of allowances for health workers, describing the move as “obnoxious”, ill-timed, and a breach of existing agreements with the medical community.

The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) chapters in both states have declared their full support for the 21-day ultimatum issued by the national body, warning that failure to withdraw the circular could trigger a nationwide strike.

In Ekiti State, NMA Chairman, Dr. Ifedayo Oreyemi, while addressing journalists on Thursday, said the circular was “a flagrant contravention of the previous Collective Bargaining Agreements that emphasised the existence of relativity in the remuneration of doctors with other health care workers.”

“The action of the Federal Government demonstrated the insensitivity and hypocrisy of the government to keep to term with the agreements previously entered into with the NMA,” Oreyemi added.

He warned that the Federal Government must “stop the circular forthwith before the expiration of the 21-day ultimatum.”

Read also: Plateau: Troops reject N13.7 million bribe from terrorists

While noting that Nigerian doctors are among the best physicians and surgeons globally, Oreyemi called on political leaders to channel the same level of investment they make abroad into Nigeria’s healthcare system.

“Our leaders should endeavour to invest in the country’s health sector as done in countries where they always run to for medical assistance,” he said.

Dr. Oreyemi listed the association’s demands, saying they must be met to avert industrial action. These include:

Immediate withdrawal of the circular on review of allowances for medical and dental officers in the federal public service;

Correction of consequential adjustments in line with the agreements of 2001, 2009, and 2014 CBAs.

Similarly, in Ondo State, the NMA chapter rejected the circular in a communique issued at the end of an emergency meeting held in Akure, the state capital.

The statement, jointly signed by the state chairman, Dr. Alonge Olumuyiwa, and secretary, Dr. Olaopa Gideon, described the circular as “obnoxious and ill-timed,” especially in view of the Japa syndrome and increasing shortage of health workers in the country.

“The recent circular issued by the National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission concerning the review of allowances for medical and dental officers in the Federal Public Service has raised significant concerns within the healthcare community,” the communique stated.

“This obnoxious circular is coming against the background of a perennial shortage of human resources for health in the various facets and at all levels of healthcare in the face of the Japa syndrome, with its attendant work overload experienced by doctors and other health workers who chose to stay behind to serve our people,” it added.

The Ondo NMA demanded the immediate withdrawal of the circular, as well as a review of the minimum wage to reflect a 300 per cent pay increase for all medical and dental practitioners.

They also lamented the “very poor remuneration of doctors, poor conditions of service, and a backlog of owed arrears,” stressing that the situation was untenable.

The association called on senior medical professionals to speak out in defence of the profession, noting that “their voices would amplify the struggle.”

It further directed its members in the state to remain on standby for further instructions regarding possible industrial action.

 

 

Related Posts

Lagos records 8,692 domestic, sexual violence cases in one year
News

Lagos records 8,692 domestic, sexual violence cases in one year

No fewer than 8,692 cases of domestic and sexual violence were reported in Lagos State between August 2024 and...

by Rasheed Aladejana
August 30, 2025
Lagos police nab 32-year-old painter for kidnapping
News

Lagos police nab 32-year-old painter for kidnapping

The Lagos state police command operatives have apprehended a 32-year-old painter identified as Chigozie Clement for kidnapping his customer's...

by admin
August 29, 2025
Jailed monarch: Osun govt to obtain US court judgment before action
Africa-Wide

Jailed monarch: Osun govt to obtain US court judgment before action

The Osun State Government has said it would obtain the Certified True Copy of the judgment of a United...

by Rasheed Aladejana
August 28, 2025
Bloodbath in Ogboji as gunmen kill 13 Ebonyi indigenes in Anambra
News

Couple, daughter kidnapped as gunmen attack Katsina residence 

A man identified as Anas Ahmed, his wife, Halimatu, and their little daughter, Jidda, were on Tuesday abducted by...

by Rasheed Aladejana
August 26, 2025
Next Post
Dangote refinery halts discounted fuel scheme over marketer abuse

Dangote refinery halts discounted fuel scheme over marketer abuse

Afrocover news

The Afrocover team is a group of media enthusiasts that are committed to illuminate information fairness and objective media coverage across Africa. We also cover the depth of African Politics, History, Culture, Entertainment, and the Economy as the case may be.

© 2025 Afrocover – All right reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Loading
Facebook Twitter
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics & Policies
  • Africa-Wide
  • Opinions
  • Exclusive
  • About Us
    • Contact Us

© 2025 JNews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme.