Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, on Monday, visited Kano State to personally commiserate with the families of victims who were brutally murdered in Uromi, Edo State.
The governor’s visit follows his earlier trip to the crime scene in Uromi, where he met with affected families and pledged swift action to bring the perpetrators to justice. The attack, which claimed several lives, involved victims who hailed from Bankure Local Government Area of Kano State.
Addressing the bereaved families in Kano, Okpebholo described the incident as heartbreaking and assured them that those responsible would not go unpunished.
“I was deeply touched when I received the news of the incident at night. By 4 a.m., I left Abuja and rushed to Uromi to meet with the affected families.
“During my campaign, your people supported me, and I stand with you in this time of grief. I extend my condolences to the people of Kano State and pray for the eternal rest of the victims’ souls,” he said.
Read also: Edo PDP blames Okpebholo for security collapse, Uromi killing
The governor disclosed that security agencies had already arrested 14 suspects, with more to follow. “We have made significant progress in our investigations.
“President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is not happy about this incident and has directed security agencies to go after the culprits. I can assure you that justice will prevail.
“So far, about 14 suspects have been arrested, and after the holiday, they will be transferred to Abuja for further interrogation. More arrests will follow as investigations continue,” Okpebholo stated.
In response, Kano State governor, Abba Umar Yusuf, commended Okpebholo for his prompt intervention and solidarity with the affected families.
“We appreciate the Governor of Edo State for his swift response to this tragic event. It is well known that our people were returning from Port Harcourt when they were brutally murdered.
“The majority of the victims were from two local governments in Kano State. Governor Okpebholo immediately visited the scene, ensured that the corpses were retrieved, and arranged for their proper burial.
“He also made commitments to support the affected families, and I can confirm that he has fulfilled those promises.
“We trust his assurance that the culprits will be brought to book, as justice remains our utmost priority. The people of Kano are peaceful and hospitable.
“This tragedy serves as a lesson to all, and I urge all leaders across Nigeria to ensure the safety and protection of all citizens, regardless of their location. Governor Okpebholo’s visit today is a mark of true leadership, and we appreciate his gesture,” he said.
Also speaking, the leader of the Arewa community in Edo State, Badamasi Saleh, reaffirmed the long-standing relationship between the northern community and Edo people, urging against using the tragedy to create division.
“I was born and raised in Edo State, and we have always maintained a peaceful relationship with the people here. This incident should not be used to create division or smear the reputation of the Edo State Government.
“The swift response of the state government was commendable. Moreover, it was the people of Uromi who rescued some of the victims from the assailants. This tragedy will not change our bond with the people of Edo.”
Similarly, the leader of the Edo community in Kano, Fred Akhigbe, praised Governor Okpebholo’s visit and urged both communities to remain united.
“We are grateful to the governor of Edo State for personally coming to Kano to express his condolences. When this tragic incident happened, there was apprehension, but we are reassured by the swift actions taken by both state governments. We sympathise with the people of Kano State and pray for the victims.
“I have lived in Kano for 52 years, and we must remember that we are all one. There is no need for conflict between us. We commend both governors for their leadership and commitment to justice,” he said.