Afrocover
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics & Policies
  • Africa-Wide
  • Opinions
  • Exclusive
  • About Us
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Afrocover
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics & Policies
  • Africa-Wide
  • Opinions
  • Exclusive
  • About Us
    • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Afrocover
No Result
View All Result

South Africa orders Lungu’s body be repatriated for burial in Zambia

By Rasheed Aladejana

August 8, 2025
in Africa-Wide, News
0
South Africa orders Lungu’s body be repatriated for burial in Zambia
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Whatsapp

A South African court on Friday ruled that Zambia’s late former president, Edgar Lungu, should be buried in his home country, despite opposition from his family.

The ruling brought a dramatic end to a two-month-long standoff between the Zambian government and Lungu’s family, who had insisted on burying him in South Africa. Lungu died in Pretoria on June 5 while receiving specialised treatment at a private clinic. He was 68.

Earlier plans

The Zambian government had planned a state funeral in Lusaka, but the late president’s widow and children rejected the move, blocking his repatriation. They claimed he would not have wanted his political rival, current President Hakainde Hichilema, at the funeral.

Zambian authorities, in turn, filed a lawsuit to halt the burial proceedings in South Africa, just as the family had begun funeral arrangements.

But a Pretoria court ruled on Friday that Zambian law prevailed over the family’s demands.

“A former president’s wishes or the wishes of his family cannot outweigh the right of the state to honour that individual with a state funeral,” the court said in its decision.

The judge further ordered the family “to immediately surrender the body of the late president” to Zambian authorities to enable his repatriation and burial in Lusaka.

Read also: White farmer allegedly murdered two black women, fed his pigs with their bodies

Although the cause of Lungu’s death was not disclosed, his Patriotic Front (PF) party said he had been undergoing specialised medical treatment in South Africa before his death.

Lungu, who came into power in 2015, led the copper-rich southern African nation until his 2021 defeat by Hichilema of the United Party for National Development (UPND).

Since leaving office, his family has been caught in a web of legal troubles, which they believe is politically motivated. His wife and children have faced charges ranging from corruption to possession of suspected proceeds of crime.

In February, Lungu’s daughter, Tasila, was arrested on money laundering charges, after she had earlier been detained along with her mother and sister on fraud-related accusations in 2024. Her brother, Dalitso, is also currently facing corruption charges.

 

Related Posts

Lagos records 8,692 domestic, sexual violence cases in one year
News

Lagos records 8,692 domestic, sexual violence cases in one year

No fewer than 8,692 cases of domestic and sexual violence were reported in Lagos State between August 2024 and...

by Rasheed Aladejana
August 30, 2025
Lagos police nab 32-year-old painter for kidnapping
News

Lagos police nab 32-year-old painter for kidnapping

The Lagos state police command operatives have apprehended a 32-year-old painter identified as Chigozie Clement for kidnapping his customer's...

by admin
August 29, 2025
Jailed monarch: Osun govt to obtain US court judgment before action
Africa-Wide

Jailed monarch: Osun govt to obtain US court judgment before action

The Osun State Government has said it would obtain the Certified True Copy of the judgment of a United...

by Rasheed Aladejana
August 28, 2025
Bloodbath in Ogboji as gunmen kill 13 Ebonyi indigenes in Anambra
News

Couple, daughter kidnapped as gunmen attack Katsina residence 

A man identified as Anas Ahmed, his wife, Halimatu, and their little daughter, Jidda, were on Tuesday abducted by...

by Rasheed Aladejana
August 26, 2025
Next Post
ADC calls for strict action against Kwam-1, warns FG to shun partiality

ADC calls for strict action against Kwam-1, warns FG to shun partiality

Afrocover news

The Afrocover team is a group of media enthusiasts that are committed to illuminate information fairness and objective media coverage across Africa. We also cover the depth of African Politics, History, Culture, Entertainment, and the Economy as the case may be.

© 2025 Afrocover – All right reserved

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Loading
Facebook Twitter
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics & Policies
  • Africa-Wide
  • Opinions
  • Exclusive
  • About Us
    • Contact Us

© 2025 JNews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme.